Thailan Military Bank
Thailan Military Bank(TMB)
Background In 1957,with Five Decades of Strength,with the brainchild of Field Marshall Sarit Tanarat, to operate a commercial banking business under the Commercial Banking Act B.E. 2488 (1945). The Bank commenced its operations in 1957 at the headquarters on Rajadmnoen Avenue , Bangkok. At the time, it operated within a limited scope of business, aiming to provide financial services exclusively for military units and their personnel. With subsequent development and growth, the Bank opened its first branch, Rajaprasong Branch, Bangkok, in 1963. Between 1964 and 1973, TMB diversified the scope of its financial services into the business sector and the private sector to respond to the government’s Economic Development Master Plan. The year 1973 marked another milestone of the Bank to become a full commercial bank with its customer base expanded to include the general public, adopting a slogan “Thai Military Bank, the Bank for all people”. In 1978,Turning to a Full Commercial Bank, TMB relocated its head office form No.2 Rajadmnoen Avenue , Bangkok. to a new office building at the corner of Phayathai and Si Ayutthaya Roads. Most importantly in 1982, His Majesty the King bestowed on the Bank a royal appointment to become a commercial bank under His Majesty’s royal patronage. The year also saw the Bank increase its registered capital for the first time from 100 million baht. Further, the Bank in the same year computerized its operating system, which enabled inter-branch deposis and withdrawals within Bangkok Metropolitan area for the first time in 1983, with the deposit system fully computerized in 1985. In 1987, the Bank expanded its financial serviced abroad by incorporating TMB Finance (Hong Kong) Company Limited, which was later upgraded to the Hong Kong Representative office. In 1993,TMB head office was moved again to the present premises on Phahon Yothin Road. The new headquarters were fully equipped with the facilities to efficiently provide customers with full financial services. Then in 1994, the Bank changed its status to a public limited company under the Public Limited Companies Act 1922 (B.E.1535). In 1987,the Bank expanded its financial serviced abroad by incorporating TMB Finance (Hong Kong) Company Limited, which was later upgraded to the Hong Kong Representative office. In 1993,TMB head office was moved again to the present premises on Phahon Yothin Road. The new headquarters were fully equipped with the facilities to efficiently provide customers with full financial services. Then in 1994, the Bank changed its status to a public limited company under the Public Limited Companies Act 1922 (B.E.1535). During 1993 -1995 the Bank pursed a “To Become a Quality Bank” policy, phase1 featuring a stage of preparedness aimed at upgrading and rationalizing various areas of its operations. To achieve this, the Bank implemented the Total Quality Service activities and consistently undertaken an array of quality development projects such as adoption of the Quality Branch system, development of internal communication system to allow electronic transmission of information via e-mail and the intranets, introduction of an electronic interbank debiting system, upgrade of financial services to the ISO9000 standards, and opening of the Thai Military Mutual fun Management Company Limited, which became officially operative on September 9 , 1966. In 1997, the Bank carried on the second phase of the “To Become a Quality Bank” policy, which was divided into three levels: organizational, operational and staff. In 2004,TMB was merged with DBS Thai Danu Bank and the Industrial Finance Corporation of Thailand, with legal effect from September 1, 2004, thereby forming a new bank with comprehensive banking services. With its post-merger asset size of around 700 billion baht, the Bank became Thailand’s fifth largest commercial bank. Moreover, having an insurance company and as asset management company under its umbrella put the Bank in an excellent position to conduct a universal banking business. In 2007, the Bank issued and offered 25,000 Million new common shares for sale to ING Bank N.V., one of the top 20 world-class financial institutions and ranking among the 10 biggest financial groups in Europe, and also for preferential offering to the Ministry of Finance and other existing shareholders, with the unsubscribed portion to be offered to financial institutions and funds overseas. Such share offering was a great success, bringing in total new funds of approximately 37.622 billion baht for the Bank and helping strengthen its financial position with CAR rising to 14.4% as of year-end 2007. In 2008 - Present,To be the leading Thai bank with world-class financial solutions.